New Directions in Cloud Programming
- Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeRg-7Sr1L8
- Programmers will specify different aspects of a program in isolation and code generators will use them as rules or to control optimization algorithms.
- Program Semantics
- Programs will be compiled down to a delcarative IR.
- "Verified Lifting" can be used to translate patterns that programmers are used to into the declarative format.
- Declare Tolerance - redundancy per API
- Declare Independence - How will computing units be distributed across AZs and so on
- History based (ACID isolation, replica consistency)
- Property-based (Determinism or invariants)
- Targets for Optimization
- Minimize costs
- Maximize Performance (latency, runtime, etc.)
- The programmer can specify how they want these tradeoffs to be made
- This forms the PACT programming stack
- Hydro is one such stack that uses verified lifting to translate other programs into this paradigm and run them.
- Challenges Ahead
- IR Design, compilation, lifting, runtime
- Protocol Synthesis that matches these concerns
- Dataflow and reactive execution
- Automatic recompilation and redeployment when needed
Thanks for reading! If you have any questions or comments, please send me a note on Twitter. And if you enjoyed this, I also have a newsletter where I write about tech thoughts, interesting things I've read, and project updates each Thursday.